List:       kde-optimize
Subject:    dcop auto-overuse
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-08 16:07:15

moin,

my recent problem with drkonqi in kdm context pointed me to a generic
problem ...
while we all certainly appreciate geiseri's (and other's) hard work to
make many kde apps scriptable, you'll certainly have to agree, that >99%
of the users don't need it. still, this slows down application startup,
especially if run outside a kde session (as it fires up kdeinit - many
apps wouldn't do this normally). therefore i'd be in favour of adding a
kapp command line option --dcop (or something) that would be needed to
enable kapp's automatic dcop registration explicitly.
KApp::disableAutoDcopRegistration() (what a name ... :}) would become
pointless; instead a function forbidAutoDcopRegistration() could be
added to disable the --dcop switch - dunno now useful that might be,
though.

there could more be places where the kdeinit launch could be made async
(like, start when the app becomes idle, sync when it's actually needed
(by ktrader, etc.)) or on-demand. but then, i don't know what i'm
talking about, so i might be suggesting something that is impossible or
has been iplemented long ago. :)

greetings