List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: I'd like to help... how do I get started?
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-09-07 12:38:58

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:10:25AM -0400, Neil Radisch wrote:
> While my windows machine was out of commission I installed KDE
> on my BSD box and was quite impressed. Can't think of too many
> reasons to boot up the windows machine again! Except the multimedia
> stuff seems to be lacking.

On System != Linux we do not install some MM codecs.
Specially on BSD we had problems with threads.
Otherwise there your would have support for mp3,mpeg I video and
some other plugins.

> I'd like to contribute, but I can't figure out how to get started. Where
> can I get the source code? What modules am I interested in? etc. etc.
>
> In particular, I used to work for on2 and would be interested in porting
> their
> VP3 codec (www.on2.com or www.vp3.com)

I just saw that they released the source!
A german computer magazin (ct) has tested this codec is said it is as good
(or better) as divx.

Licence seems similar to the MPL. Anyone checked if its "Open Source"
compliant?

I just don't know where the porting to linux will start,
but I don't think that it will start here.
Only if the codec is reasonable stable we can include it.

Maybe we can sometimes use this codec for VideoConferencing,
because its optimized for low bitrates.

Martin