List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Current KDE video player
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-08-18 14:25:24

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 12:39:48PM -0400, shaheed wrote:
> On Saturday 18 August 2001 6:08 am, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
>
> > > Which is the current KDE video player? aKtion or something else? I want
> > > to make sure it can play MPEG 2 transport streams. Please cc me as I'm
> > > not subscribed!
> >
> > just use Noatun,
> >
> > if you have aRts + mpeglib installed you are able to view mpeg2 vieodes

No, you can't.
mpeglib demuxes mpeg2 (vob files) but the codec only is for mpeg1.
(Although an vob plugin exists- based on mpeg2dec,ac3dec)

> AFAICS, noatun does not understand transport streams. I want to fix that, but
> looking at the code, its not clear to me where such support would fit. To
> help set some context, xine has input plugins, demux plugins, decoder plugins
> etc. The xine transport stream support is a demux plugin.

The demuxer is a bad hack in mpeglib.(In fact it does not exists)
There is a class
kdemultimedia/mpeglib/lib/mpegplay/mpegSystemStream.cpp

which reads from an InputStream and fills an mpegSystemHeader.h
The mpegsystemHeader indicates which kind of packet we have
found. (audio,video)
And then inserted the demuxed data in a ringbuffer.

If you really want to implement this in mpeglib, you should have
a look at mpegSystemStream.cpp and the method "nextPacket"
The class can be in three states:

init->START<->NEED_PACKET

in init we need a 1ba (syspacket) or 1b3 (seq) this decides wheter
"raw" mpeg or not.

after a seek we go to the NEED_PACKET state and then back to START.
The class demuxes vob files and normal mpeg1 system streams.
Although the vob part (mpeg2) is not heavily tested.
The demuxer is used for the vob plugin too.(mpeglib.sf.net)

Martin