List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Current KDE video player
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-08-18 11:35:16

On Saturday 18 August 2001 6:08 am, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:

> > Which is the current KDE video player? aKtion or something else? I want
> > to make sure it can play MPEG 2 transport streams. Please cc me as I'm
> > not subscribed!
>
> just use Noatun,
>
> if you have aRts + mpeglib installed you are able to view mpeg2 vieodes

No, its not that simple :-). MPEG2 defines audio streams and video elementary
streams which actually contain encoded audio and video. MPEG2 also defines
wrappers that contain bundles of audio and video streams. There are two
types of wrapper: program streams (used for DVDs, for example) and transport
streams (used by satellite/cable/terrestrial broadcast systems and video
servers). Amongst other things, the wrapper contains information to ensure
audio/video synchronisation.

AFAICS, noatun does not understand transport streams. I want to fix that, but
looking at the code, its not clear to me where such support would fit. To
help set some context, xine has input plugins, demux plugins, decoder plugins
etc. The xine transport stream support is a demux plugin.

Thanks, Shaheed