List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: mpeglib: SDL support
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-06-11 9:55:14

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 10:16:41AM -0700, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Sunday 10 June 2001 10:09 am, Martin Vogt wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 09:20:54AM -0700, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > >
> > > In fact, consider using pthreads always, trying to use Xvideo, and if
> > > that fails, use SDL.
> >
> > SDL uses pthreads as threads on Unix. So it should work.
> > But you obviously cannot work around the XV bug even
> > when using SDL, because SDL uses this as primary target,
> > which will fail on 3dfx.
>
> 90% of our users, at least, will be using binaries, and 90% of the binaries
> will be compiled for Xvideo.  This means that those that use Xvideo binaries,
> but don't have Xvideo support (particularly, they don't use a XF4 supported
> card, which are many, so their distro installs XF3 instead, like Linux
> Mandrake), which means that mpeglib won't be able to play mpeg, which means
> that I'll get a lot of bug reports ;)

Not true.
They need the XF40 libs when compiled against XF4.
mpeglib is linked against 4.x if they use it.
If they run their server under 3.x this is no problem,
because mpeglib query the server for xv support.

 /** query and print Xvideo properties */

  ret = XvQueryExtension(xWindow->display,
                         &p_version, &p_release, &p_request_base,
                         &p_event_base, &p_error_base);
  if (ret != Success) {
    if (ret == XvBadExtension) {
      printf("XvBadExtension returned at XvQueryExtension.\n");
    } else if (ret == XvBadAlloc) {
      printf("XvBadAlloc returned at XvQueryExtension.\n");
    } else {
      printf("other error happened at XvQueryExtension.\n");
    }
    return false;
  }

If the server does not support xv, mpeglib won't use it.
(SHM fallback und in the worst case Ximage)
No need to worry about this problem.

Martin