List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Fast? hardware volume control
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-04-20 16:06:41

   Hi!

I just looked at noatun's "Fast Hardware Volume Control". Basically the idea
is that you can save two multiplications (and some other stuff) per sample
by adjusting the OSS mixer directly. That *would* be faster, if aRts wouldn't
do this work anyway. We talked about this on the last IRC meeting. I recently
changed the aRts code to make gartscontrol / artscontrol / artsshell control
the same main volume (otherwise things make no sense). There is an

    /**
     * global output volume for the sound server
     */
    readonly attribute StereoVolumeControl outVolume;

in the SoundServerV2 interface now.

So if noatun would use this as "Fast" volume control, it would only modify
an already existing parameter (which would be "as fast" as using the OSS
mixer).

The advantage of doing so is that volume control is still done server-side
(so you won't control the wrong volume) and that noatun would interoperate
with whatever client would access the same volume. And yes, there are change
notifications for that. I didn't patch the artscontrol code yet, but garts-
control for instance displays the same aRts master volume in all instances
if you start it ten times, and moves all ten sliders if you move one.

   Cu... Stefan