List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: gstreamer instead of mpeglib
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-04-01 16:25:08

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 03:08:00PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:

> Wouldn't using mpg123 and smpeg be much wiser than selling out to the
> unethical stupid gstreamer/GNU/GLIB/GTK/GNOME æßwiips?

No.

smpeg depends on SDL, where GStreamer depends on GLIB (in the future)

For smpeg we would need another Arts/PlayObject <-> smpeg gateway
same for mpeg123, whereas there is only one generic
PlayObject for GStreamer. (But with the benefit that this would
support much more decoders, like it is in mpeglib now)

Another thing is: where to put it? Assume we put smpeg+SDL/mpeg123
in kdemultimedia.

Then there are two mp3 decoders in kdemultimedia.

1. mpeg123           (mp3 decoder for _audio_ playback)
2. splay in smpeg    (mp3 decoder for MPEG-I _video_ playback)

(both would need porting to other platforms)

- mpeg123 maybe a simple plugin , whereas smpeg is threaded,like mpeglib.

Any Videoextensions to smpeg would _only_ work with smpeg.
No divx, no MPEG2/DVD, much more work, should we do it
for every plugin?
AviFile (divx player) comes with its own mp3decoder too.

An aRts/Gstreamer PlayObject gateway maybe a better solution than
writing plugins for mpeg123 and smpeg, but I thing the same
what Nikolas said in another mail.
The best thing is to do everything in aRts.
But this is _much_ work.

regards,

Martin