List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Proposal: aRts - speed, skipping
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-31 21:39:45

aRts skips a lot, aRts doesn't work on most platforms.

And both of these problems have one fix.  Well, 1.5..

We* need to completely eliminate the non-threaded version of arts.

We* need to make it simple for objects to be in their own threads.

So, there's three threads, 1: Decoder (mpeglib),  2: soundserver (with all
the sound effect processors), 3: output.

Yes, yes, output needs to be in its own thread.  Even xmms (and I don't want
to use xmms in any discussion ;) is 5 threads (1 process+4 threads?)  This
may also mean a sync problem between visualization and audio.  Oh well :)
By putting multiple buffers in the scope objects, that can be limited.

About breaking BC (if we switch to threads): The libraries can compiled
twice, and the soundserver always being threaded.  Or, we could always
compile threaded.

Any operating system that doesn't have pthreads isn't an operating system at
all.  We can all agree on the futility of supporting them :)

*We, meaning Stefan, unless he wants to write documentation ;)