aRts skips a lot, aRts doesn't work on most platforms. And both of these problems have one fix. Well, 1.5.. We* need to completely eliminate the non-threaded version of arts. We* need to make it simple for objects to be in their own threads. So, there's three threads, 1: Decoder (mpeglib), 2: soundserver (with al= l=20 the sound effect processors), 3: output. Yes, yes, output needs to be in its own thread. Even xmms (and I don't w= ant=20 to use xmms in any discussion ;) is 5 threads (1 process+4 threads?) Thi= s=20 may also mean a sync problem between visualization and audio. Oh well :)= =20 By putting multiple buffers in the scope objects, that can be limited. About breaking BC (if we switch to threads): The libraries can compiled=20 twice, and the soundserver always being threaded. Or, we could always=20 compile threaded. Any operating system that doesn't have pthreads isn't an operating system= at=20 all. We can all agree on the futility of supporting them :) *We, meaning Stefan, unless he wants to write documentation ;) _______________________________________________ Kde-multimedia mailing list Kde-multimedia@master.kde.org http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia