List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    icecast support
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-29 15:53:00

How to get a decoder to allow playing of icecast streams?

Well, how about we allow the trader to look at the mcopclass and see:

Type=MP3PlayObject
Source=Network,File
Url=http://.*:[0-9]{1,5}

Then [noatun], when it sees such a URL, it asks the trader for a playobject
which can both has a "Network" source, and the Url matches the Url?

We can also ask for just a Network source, compare the regexps in noatun, and
play.  Then if that playobject refuses to play, noatun will try to play
again, with the next playobject: OggVorbis does icecast as well.

(The Url regexp can be a list of regexps)

Also, I've been using the Source concept for a while, differenciating between
File (opening a local file), Network (own protocol handler), Stream (will
accept the data from noatun), and FullFile (opening a local file, but the
file needs to be completely downloaded).  We can do this, it's HEAD :)

-Charles

--
Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org>
K Desktop Environment