List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: FFT (the djbfft)
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-03-01 11:17:47

   Hi!

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:36:51PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:
> I'm working on replacing our current fft with the djbfft (one that is far
> faster :).

Great!

> I need to know where to import it.  Should it be in $KDEDIR/lib/djbfft?,
> soundserver? flow?  Then should I export the API into a FFT namespace to be
> accessed by arts and noatun cleanly?

I think kdelibs/arts/flow is the right place. For naming the classes/
functions, you have the following choices:

1. an Arts::FFT namespace, containing the functionality
2. an Arts::FFT class, containing the functionality
   (probably with static functions due to speed)
3. an Arts::fft function, containing the functionality

But you need to put it into the Arts namespace. The reason why aRts is just
using one single toplevel namespace is that this makes it very unlikely to
collide with any other third party stuff. Remember that lots of third party
apps and/or plugins will someway or other link to aRts, and any collision
of symbols will break something. And FFT is not an that uncommon name ;).

   Cu... Stefan