List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    MMX and mpeglib
From:       Neil Stevens <multivac () fcmail ! com>
Date:       2001-02-14 22:36:19

Remember how I said I could not recommend Noatun as a movie player,
because I never had it working?  Well, it's very strange... running on a
PIII instead of a PPro, the crash goes away.  Exact same binary, exact
same system, different processor.

Conclusion:  The crash might have been caused by mpeglib trying to use MMX
instructions on all Intel (or all Intel P6) processors, without checking
if MMX instructions are actually available.  MMX does not exist on the
PPro, and therefore would be guaranteed to fail.

Am I far off in my guess?

Ahh.. it's nice to play videos with kaboodle instead of gtv.  I just hope
that everyone with a non-MMX processor gets to do the same.

--
Neil Stevens
multivac@fcmail.com

keyserver search.keyserver.net
Fingerprint 86EA ECD4 F258 FB1B D88F 9136 4F49 90F8 CD3E 5C1C