List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: noatun
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-01-13 15:21:22

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 07:11:07AM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Saturday 13 January 2001 06:37 am, Martin Vogt wrote:
> > What happens if you play a mpeg video or divx video, when
> > the decoding takes up all cpu power?
> > I think you need to reboot the system, this is not a good
> > reputation for noatun, aRts, and KDE && LINUX.
>
> Well, I don't recommend noatun to anyone for video playing yet.

Why not?
It plays mpeg I & divx fine.

It dose not play mpeg2/ac3/dvd most likley because the codecs
are not reentrant and have not the stability to be included
in KDE.
(well, and there is the patent problem too)

> > have you restarted artsd with
> >
> > -F5 -S 8192 options?
>
> I just gave those settings a brutal test:
[...]

> That wasn't a brutal test, that was an unfair test.  The only harder thing
> for it to survive would be compiling mcopidel.  But artsd survived.  No
> skips from noatun.
>
> Why isn't this setting the default?  It's the only non-realtime setting
> I've tried yet that doesn't skip.

It is the default.

switch (responseTime) {
        case 0: args += " -F 3 -S 512";     break;
        case 1: args += " -F 7 -S 1024";    break;
        case 2: args += " -F 5 -S 8192";    break;
        case 3: args += " -F 128 -S 4096";  break;
    }

int responseTime=config->readNumEntry("ResponseTime",2);

But: its not immune against clicking when switching desktops,
     at least not always.
     One thing I found out: if you run "top" the clicks may
     be more often than without "top".

Martin