List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: noatun
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-11 23:57:13

On Thursday 11 January 2001 07:55 am, Martin Vogt wrote:
> Hi,
>

> -how much cpu does the FFT in noatun use?
SLOW! :)  It uses the same FFT that arts uses for artscontrol and such.  so,
about 15% of a P2/300.  Just replacing this will bring it from that to about
5%.

> -should't we use some MMX code for it?
>  (the MMXDCT package contains a MMX fft,
>   and the kmpg some (fast) C implementations)
I doubt the MMX FFT is faster than the fftw (www.fftw.org), and the fftw
probably also has far fewer worst-case scenarios, it also runs on more
platforms.

What I intend to do is have a --with-libfftw and link to libfftw, otherwise,
I'll use the current FFT, and later on, use a Fast Hartley Transform, which
was touted by a noatun user :)

> -anyone tested CDDA DND with konqi and noatun?
CDDA, DND, FFT, MMX, That's a lot of acronyms :)

Well, I havn't.

It's a "it works" with a "but", or it's a "It doesn't work" with an "although"
Basically, noatun will be able to read the CD, and copy a wav to disk (not
quite as you'd hope for, no?) then play that.  Then arts will try to buffer
this entire 60mb :)

-Charles