List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: State of the Noatun
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-12-01 10:10:47

   Hi!

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 07:55:04PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:
> Left to be done for a KDE2.1 release
>
> [...]
> 3) Starting artsd when unavailable on startup, and restarting artsd if it
> should disappear while Noatun is running (maybe even during playback).
> Or, at least an informative error message, instead of a crash, when
> problems occur.

I would only require that it starts artsd on startup if it can't connect
to it (which is easy to do).

For everything else, it is better to fix aRts to crash less, rather than
adding huge pieces of crash-tolerance-logic to noatun. You also don't write
apps in a way that the X11 server can crash (and gets restarted) at any time.

> About the configuration of effects: ugh :)  I'll procrastinate it as much as
> possible.

Try artscontrol -> View -> FreeVerb and have a look at the code for it before
you start. It's not exactly using .arts files to specify the effect gui right
now, but at least it only uses Arts::Widget's, which you can also create with
.arts files. And it does change notifications between the poti's and the
effect parameters, too.

   Cu... Stefan