List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: noatun and KDE 2.1
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-11-26 2:15:45

On lørdag 25 november 2000, 05:51 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Saturday 25 November 2000 05:23 pm, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > On lørdag 25 november 2000, 09:44 am, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > > I just went through all of them, and from the aRts side of things,
> > > there is nothing much left to do in the 2.1 branch. The worst crashes,
> > > symlink issues etc. have been fixed in the CVS. We do have a mp3
> > > performance problem against xmms though. But all this doesn't impact
> > > whether or not we should release noatun.
> >
> > I consider that a non-ship :)  What'l happen is that people will think
> > kaiman is a totally different thing than noatun.  Then they notice "ugh,
> > this is just as slow as the old KDE Media player," and forever are we
> > doomed into being the slow as all hell.  Now, *I* for one can use it,
> > but I also have a 300mhz CPU entirely devoted to arts (which comes in
> > very handy for my Vorbis files :)  But the fact is, we all compile our
> > source so have enourmous machines.  But you also forget that people are
> > going to be coming in with Pentium 200MMX systems and will barely be
> > able to use it.
> >
> > Let's put it this way:
> > I ran winders95 on a P133.  I play MP3s just fine.  I switched to linux,
> > and kmp3 could play MP3s file.  Now I use a dual P2/300, and I don't
> > mind a media player that takes 20% of my entire computer (that's 40% of
> > a P2/300)
>
> Well, that's fine, but arts and mpeglib_artsplug are already shipped.
> Whether Noatun is ready to replace kaiman is orthogonal to whether arts is
> ready to replace [some media player] on slow machines.
What have the shipment status of mpeglib and arts have to do with their
ability to be fixed? :)

> > Another issue I have is lack of portability.  It should work on all
> > platforms, even if it doesn't work well.
>
> Again, mpeglib for arts is already shipped.
Me too :)

> > Basically, I don't want noatun to forever be seen as the "slow as all
> > hell" media player.  Even if it gets far better, users will always
> > associate it with "slow."  Fortunately, most users will not associate
> > kaiman with noatun.
>
> Aha!  The real issue.  You don't want *Noatun* to give a bad first
> impression, in the same way that Kaiman has given a bad first impression
> to many people.  That's understandable, but I don't think that's a valid
> reason not to ship Noatun in KDE 2.1.
Isn't it best to be able to say "With the new Noatun media player, KDE is
fast again" versus "Noatun is fast for some odd reason" ?

Because xmms will always be the "slow one" even though it's still not as slow
as I'de like to admit :)

> Here's my suggestion:  Now that I can actually run Noatun again, I'm
> getting on the UI things I want in the first released Noatun.  If
> someone can add the artsd [re]start support to Noatun's Engine class, and
> Charles can get off of his break long enough to send me an email on how
> *he* wanted to fix the mime-type issue, we just might be able to get
> Noatun feature-complete in a week.
there's code in engine to a produce a playobject, you select the playobject
by taking the extention, comparing it to a trader, and grabbing it.  What I
would do is take the mime-type from KDE, produce an extention from that, and
then get the playobject from that extention.

I'll do this.  I'll do this because I want to procrastinate doing the GUI
effect config as long as possible because it's such a pain in the... deriere.

-Charles