List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: kaiman !?
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-11-11 10:18:55

> > If we define a common directory where the .mcopfiles go,
> > we need to fix arts and artspluggy maybe artsbuilder
> > and that should be all.
> > (simple change in Makefile.am.)
> >
> > Maybe I forgot something?
>
> The problem are applications which come with their own .mcopclass files. You
> are encouraged to do this, for instance, if you write a drum machine for KDE2,
> add your own sample playing modules, or even just a new file format.
>
> These apps will expect the .mcopclass files to go in the same directory where
> the KDE libraries are. If such an application installs/works fine with KDE2.0,
> it will not install/work fine with KDE2.0.1, and the other way round. Their
> Makefiles will contain lines like
>
> mcoptypedir = $(libdir)
No it should contain this:

mcoptypedir = $(mcopdir)

and in configure.in mcopdir=$KDEDIR/lib/mcop or anything else.

Maybe we set a few default search pathes in libmcop eg: /usr/lib/mcop
/usr/local/lib/mcop

and later, if you don't get shoot for not BC changes, add some
methods to the scanning class like addSearchPath(char* )
so that an app which links against libmcop can add new pathes.

the drum application then can (remotely) configure artsd
with something like this:

simplesoundserver.addSearchpath(char*)

would this work?

Martin