List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: kmixapplet cpu usage
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-10-01 10:58:01

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 09:54:19AM +0200, Stefan Schimanski wrote:

Hi,

> That's really bad. I thought about optimization some time ago and ignored it
> then because there was always 0 % cpu usage.

oups. Is that with ALSA?

> Of course we can change it into 1000ms. That would result in 3-4% cpu usage

exactly ;)

> which is too much either. I planned to use the notification features of ALSA
> and OSS to replace this polling timer.

That would be the best of course.

> > - apparently I get 4 mixer devices with ALSA, kmixapplet let's me choose to
> >   use one of them. But it installs the timer on all of them, i.e all 4
> > mixers are checked every 500ms currently. Can't we just check the
> > configured one?
>
> Why do you get 4 mixers??? for the same soundcard?

Yup, just one soundcard. And even all four with the same name, CTL1745.

/proc/asound/devices lists only one mixer, oss-devices as well. There is only
one mixer-device in /proc/asound/dev/ and in /proc/asound/0/:
gis@nevermind:~ [0] > cat /proc/asound/0/mixerD0

Mixer 'CTL1745' 'CTL1745'
Elements 27
Groups 11
Switches 1

The question remains: even if we have more than one device, do we want to
poll them all? Why not just the one, that was selected?

Another issue: there is a kcmkmixrc which is being read on startup, but there
is noone writing to this file?

Hmm, the OSS mixer is used despite me having ALSA.
checking enable_audio=alsa...
checking for ALSA CFLAGS...
checking for ALSA LDFLAGS...  -lasound
checking for libasound headers version >= 0.1.1... found.
checking for snd_cards in -lasound... yes
ALSA: Enabled
[...]
checking for main in -lasound... yes

Still there is
/* Define if you have Alsa support */
/* #undef ALSA */

in config.h :-/ ARGL, I have to specify --with-alsa, which is described as
  --with-alsa             use an alternative driver for GUS

So kmix always used the OSS emulation. Isn't the configure-comment a
little bit misleading?

Now with ALSA support, I only get one device to choose from and indeed there is
zero cpu consumption. I would blame ALSA's OSS emulation.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer