List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: kmixapplet cpu usage
From:       Stefan Schimanski <1Stein () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-10-01 7:54:19

Am Sun, 01 Oct 2000 schrieb Carsten Pfeiffer:
> > kmixapplet takes around 7% of CPU (K6-2 500) while just sitting in the
> > panel... is there some room for optimization left?

That's really bad. I thought about optimization some time ago and ignored it
then because there was always 0 % cpu usage.

> please forgive me my ignorance on this topic...
>
> I just had a look at the code and found two things:
> - it sets up a timer to check if the mixer changed -- every 500ms. Isn't 1
>   sec. enough? Even better have that value configurable, at least in a
>   configfile to avoid creating new strings.

Of course we can change it into 1000ms. That would result in 3-4% cpu usage
which is too much either. I planned to use the notification features of ALSA
and OSS to replace this polling timer.

> - apparently I get 4 mixer devices with ALSA, kmixapplet let's me choose to
>   use one of them. But it installs the timer on all of them, i.e all 4
> mixers are checked every 500ms currently. Can't we just check the
> configured one?

Why do you get 4 mixers??? for the same soundcard?

> Cheers,
> Carsten Pfeiffer

Schimmi

--
#! /bin/sh
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \