List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: wavPlayObject ?
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-07-31 12:00:39

   Hi!

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 06:45:26PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
> only a short question:
>

> why does artsd does not load the WavPlayObject.
> For wav files it always uses the CachedWav Player.

Because Arts::WavPlayObject registers itself for .wav,.aiff,.au,... files.
If mpeglib does, too, then the behaviour is probably undefined (meaning that
it could randomly take one or the other). If we had a user-preferences stuff
for influencing Trader decisions in cases like this, it would probably help.
Especially if people start writing alternate mp3/mpg/wav/aiff or whatever
loaders with better performance.

How about writing user-preferences for this? This is what would be needed to
have this configurable in kcontrol.

CachedWav has the advantage that playing things like

  dididididididididingdingdingdingdingdingding

for games is much less expensive CPU wise, whereas it is currently very broken
for playing 600MB wave files ;) It will also be there if somebody installs
kdegames but not kdemultimedia.

> Another question:
>
> Why we should not support http/cdi playing in the GUIs?
> This is possible with the loadMedia call.
>
> The code is already there, we only need a Dialogbox for this.

Well, as you asked "why not", here are a few reasons why not ;-)

* we have feature freeze and message freeze
* it would probably be better if the Trader would know which PlayObjects accept
  which protocols: i.e. that using http://foo/bar.wav with mpeglib will work,
  but not with the audiofile based PlayObject
* kmedia2.idl would need to be changed (mostly the comments, i.e. that
  createPlayObject sometimes also accepts URLs)
* some work would need to go into the current createPlayObject method, as it
  might be strange if playing /foo/bar.wav would work, but not file:/foo/bar.wav
* schimmi's work on arts/media would be the proper way to do what you want
* there are IMHO still more important things to do in both, aRts and the
  frontends

However, I wouldn't mind having this feature, if it's done properly, if I don't
need to care much about it (read: if somebody else implements it ;) and if the
authors of the frontends agree. However moving this to KDE2.1 would be fine, too.

   Cu... Stefan