List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: mpeglib import
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-07-07 12:05:23

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 12:42:36AM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
>    Hi!
>
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 03:23:38PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
> > Then we can have a big buffer as default, and maybe if
> > a game connects we can make it less.
> > Can we add a "prefereedBuffersize" call when connecting to artsd?
> > changing it on runtime?
> > I think this would solve the problem.
>
> It is very hard to implement, as inside artsd, there are lots of ringbuffers
> which are allocated specifically adapted to the requested latency. Besides,
> most of the streaming applications orient themselves on the latency, so all
> apps would dynamically need to change their streaming strategy, too.

I dont think its hard to implement. If the user sets in
the configuration dialog "big Buffer" simply adjust the buffer
on the soundcard.
No need to inform the modules about this.
Ok you might get wrong latency in the modules but a user who
notice then has to restart arts.

I think we _should_ have big buffers as default.
(I dont like to start a big/long thread about what the average user
needs as default, but IMHO users use their soundcard more for mp3
playback than for Midi Keybords/sound synthesis)

realtime is not an option as default. But I think it would solve
the problem.

If mp3 is not working "good enough" as default, nobody will
use arts anyway. Even if mpg123 or xmms use the artsc interface
or the overloaded "open" calls they will disable arts
because the problem is the same with these interfaces.

KDE 2.0 has no player GUI which is as good as xmms, at least
we should make the _playback_ as good as xmms.
Maybe we then attract more developers who write nice GUIs.

Martin