List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: works!
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-06-26 21:47:46

   Hi!

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 02:53:16PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
> > - artsplay doesn't quit after playing, the process keeps running.
> >
> Yes, I have the same problem. I don`t know where the problem is.
> artsd unloads the plugin (viewable in the debug output)
> but the call dispatcher.run() never returns.

You don't ever need to call dispatcher.run() if you don't implement a server
process. It is only required if you want to process i/o and/or timers. For
artsplay something like

main()
{
	// more init
	Arts::PlayObject obj = ....;
	while(obj.state() != Arts::posFinished) sleep(1);
}

should do.

dispatcher.run() will terminate as soon as you call dispatcher.terminate().
If you laugh out loud (how could you call dispatcher.terminate() while
dispatcher.run() is running... from where?!?), you probably don't need it.

> > - artsd segfaults sometimes (also mentioned in your artsError.txt).
> >
> Only if you hit STRG+C in artplay.
> Is it necessary to catch this signal? Stefan?

No. There is code in aRts which will clean up on client crash and similar
stuff. But maybe you found a bug in artsd, here.

   Cu... Stefan