List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: artsplug near final
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-06-26 20:29:24

   Hi!

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 03:55:57PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
> I like the idea of a new module "kdesupport-multimedia".
>
> Advantages:
> -----------
> * I can start converting mpeglib into the KDE CVS build system without
>   breaking the GUI frontends in kdemultimedia.
> * If it really turns out, that its too buggy, not useable,
>   does not fit into the KDE 2.0 time frame,whatever
>   we can drop the whole package and still break no GUI
>   application.
> * libc based distributions can drop the package and still
>   have kscd and kmix etc.. included
>
> Disavantage:
> -----------
> * cvs users need to add a new module
>
> conclusion:
>
>  I think we should have a new kdesupport-multimedia module.
>
> But only after I have brushed up mpeglib to compile on the
> typical distributions and tested it a bit more.
>
> [...]
>
> when is the release date for beta3?

Have a look at

  http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/release-schedule.html

So, 17 July seems to be a good date where inclusion could be completed. IMHO
would be reasonable if you could start merging it into the CVS in the next
week(s).

As for the advantages of a seperate module, I think you can also get them
using a --enable-mpeglib configure switch which should automatically default
to some nice value for your platform (e.g. glibc2 = yes, libc5 = no).

I know that kdemultimedia-support seems to look "cleaner" (as seperating each
app into an individual module would maybe be even more clean), but you'll
need to have support from Coolo (who does the CVS stuff) to do so. So if
you want to/can convince him, why not.

But I'd strongly recommend kdemultimedia, which seems to be fine, follows the
way KDE always has done things (package into large convenient modules for
the user), has IMHO no real disadvantages, and most important: you can go
for it tomorrow if you like (no further discussion required).

   Cu... Stefan