List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: works!
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-06-25 12:53:16

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 02:53:03PM +0200, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed the latest mpeglib and artsplug and played the
> "aliensong.mpeg" I talked about in one of my earlier mails.

Mandrake 7.2 ?

yesterday I tried it on Mandrake and had the same errors.
RedHat compiles mpeglib fine.

> I have to say, I'm impressed! Sync of audio and video is perfect. Great
> work!

And you can even play many instances of it the same time :-)

> Problems:
>
> - I had to fix a few things in mpeglib to get it compiled
>   (wrong return-types, missing type in declaration and a few casts needed
>   in the ac3 stuff - those might break on some systems tho), do you want a
>   diff, Martin?

Yes, please make a diff.
I think these are the same changes I made for Mandrake,
but I would like to check this.
The ac3 plugin only works with the (older) ac3dec/mpeg2dec _in_
mpeglib.
ac3dec and mpeg2dec from the livid cvs is a moving target.
I hope some day they have found a usable API and keep it stable.
ac3/mpeg2/dvd is experimental in mpeglib (and even in livid IMHO).
Its more a prove that it works.
And they have still a few globals, you cannot play more instances
the same time.

> - artsplay doesn't quit after playing, the process keeps running.

Yes, I have the same problem. I don`t know where the problem is.
artsd unloads the plugin (viewable in the debug output)
but the call dispatcher.run() never returns.

> - artsd segfaults sometimes (also mentioned in your artsError.txt).

Only if you hit STRG+C in artplay.
Is it necessary to catch this signal? Stefan?

Martin