List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: artsplug near final
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-06-25 12:35:42

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 12:58:12PM +0200, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 12:10:30PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I think we cannot put it in kde-multimedia, because the artsplug
> > lib is linked against mpeglib and libtool does not support
> > linking against not installed libraies.
>
> I don't understand this. How would you link against something if it is not
> avilable? There should be a configure check to see if it's available or
> not.

example:

mpeglib/lib/libmpeg.so

is compiled but not installed.

if you now build artplug.so you ran automake/libtool etc..
If its an _executable_
then you can do it in libtool. (libtool handles this)
But if you build a library libtool cannot handle it. (yet)
I dont know where the problem is, but in the automake TODO list
this is listed for automake 1.4.
But maybe we can find a (not elegant) solution.

> > Mpeglib runs on alpha but (not yet) on Sun etc..
> > Its a rather big library and KDE 2.0 is already in freeze.
>
> I will have a look if I can get it to work on Solaris. Only mp3 and mpeg
> video tho (no DVD available).

It worked some time ago on solaris, mpegvideo and mp3.
But I have not tested it on solaris for quite some time.
It will not work(now), but the fix should be easy.

> It really should be in CVS!

I would favour a seperate module in the KDE CVS for it.
Currently I have a bit problems
with the KDE build system. The admin/ directory the configure.in.in
the subdirs file etc..
Is there somewehere a FAQ how the admin/ directory in KDE works?

regards,

Martin