List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: artsplug near final
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-06-21 1:18:24

   Hi!

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 11:44:18AM +0200, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> > ARTS:
> > http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/arts-snapshot-doc.html
> >

> Shouldn't this be on CVS ?

Sure, aRts is in kdelibs, the snapshots are generated from there.

> > MPEGLIB:
> > http://mpeglib.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > ARTSPLUG:
> > http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~mvogt/linux/kmpg/links.html
> >

> And this too ?
> Perhaps putting mpeglib on kdesupport ?
> (btw, is mpeglib the mp3 decoder, the mpeg video decoder, or both ? )

I can only second the CVS issue: if we don't have it there, chances are good
that most users will never even notice that there is mp3 support...

The right place is probably kdemultimedia, as not everybody using KDE will
want mp3 (or mpeg video), but most people installing kdemultimedia would
like to have it. Coolo told me he doesn't like it in kdesupport, and so
if there is no really really good argument in favour of kdesupport, this
pretty much decides the issue ;-)

My only concern currently is how far we'll get in the future (> KDE2.0) when
we keep the strict seperation between aRts and standalone mpeglib code.
Especially once we start extending aRts in the direction of more modularity
regarding decoding and playing, video codecs, threading support, ...

Still, we can try this approach, and if it doesn't work, we'll try something
else. So far, I am quite happy with the interoperability that is available
now between mpeglib and aRts.

So after everybody telling: "mpeglib should be in the CVS", would anybody
like to put it there, maintain it there, update new versions, fix bugs, make
sure that it integrates with the build system and such? Martin? Somebody else?

   Cu... Stefan