List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    brahms and artsbuilder in the CVS
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-05-29 20:56:58

   Hi!

I've just imported more nice stuff:

===>  artsbuilder (which lives in kdemultimedia/arts/builder)

This is the front-end for arts - it's the program you can use to really plug
modules together, build virtual instruments, new filters out of existing ones,
visual stuff etc. - in short, that what is the essential component of aRts as
synthesizer for musicians, besides the remaining plugins, which should be
ported soon, too.

Right now, it's only abilities are starting and crashing, but that will
change, soon. It's very good to have it now, as we can do better testing
of the aRts framework, especially the following abilities:

 - attaching custom stream stuff into the sound server

 - the dynamic composition API (similar to CORBA dynamic skeleton) which
   is yet to be written

 - artsbuilder requires trading abilities (querying which modules are
   available, and what are their capabilities), so we'll be able to test
   these, too (also to be written)

 - more tricky structures with feedback loops, delays, busses, etc.

Besides, its fun. ;)

===>  Brahms (which lives in kmusic/brahms for now)

Brahms is a fully fledged sequencer, similar to CuBase or AudioLogic. If
KDE2.0 is to adress musicians, then this is the way to go. Under KDE1.x,
the same code could already be used for making music, with some minor tweaks.

I hope that now that it is in the CVS, it will improve more rapidly, as
everybody can start improving things.

starts. There are strange display problems right now. I hope, that we'll
be able to do the following things in the next time

 - make Brahms usable under KDE2.0

 - aRts/Brahms midi integration, especially midi I/O via aRts, virtual
   instruments, etc.

 - audio tracks via aRts, with effects and stuff for Brahms

 - maybe Brahms should also use stuff from kdelibs for midi? currently it
   contains an (old) copy of Antonios midi libs - how will
   aRts/Brahms/libkmid stuff work?

Jan Wuerther the author of Brahms has got a CVS account, now, so he can work
on it with that. If you're interested in the code, read README.brahms in the
kmusic module, too.

It would be cool to have things presentable until LinuxTag 2000. Thats four
weeks to go.

   Cu... Stefan