List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: SynthModule in the idl
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas.brodu () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-05-17 15:12:18

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> There are a few things that are not nice:
> - currently mcop and artsflow are only loosely coupled - you can reimplement
>   the whole flow system easily with these changes, this will probably get
>   lost
> - you'd need to implicitely #include <artsflow.idl>, which could be quite
>   tricky (currently the user needs to do this)
> - casting to SynthModule will succeed even if there is no reason to (from
>   what you'll read in the idl)
> - kdoc will mess up the class hierarchy, so SynthModule will not be seen
>   in the inheritance hierarchy
> - don't fix it if it ain't broken - these things work fine now, there are
>   quite some things which are showstoppers which are probably more important
>   to work at
>
> Well, if you want it anyway, go for it, but give me the changes for review -
> good documented - before committing anything. Please complete the work

OK, I'll think about it a little more then, and come back to you if I have a
good proposal.

> on the SmartWrappers and dynamic casting before in any case, as it is probably
> easier when we complete one thing after the other, and not everything at the
> same time.

Agreed, the more important things (showstoppers) first.

For all to know, I'll also mention here that I've commited the
SmartWrapper=>Object merge, the dynamic casting stuff since it works (see
example/testwrapper) and finally put the _base* constructors protected, created
the Object::null() and done all necessary changes. Today is the day, today is
Wednesday!

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. (unknown author)