List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: libkmid and kdecore
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-04-03 22:35:01

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

>    Hi!

Hello,

> Well, I do two things:
>
> - there is a $HOME/.mcoprc which contains settings in Name=value format,
>   thus it can be written with KConfig, and read with an own class
>   (MCOPConfig)
>
> - some options are passed via command line to artsd, it is started by a
>   KConfig module

I see, thanks for the explanation.

> Maybe someone should port the KDE paths class to a plain C++ implementation
> (the configuration files are easy to read, but its a bit hard to locate
> them using the KDE paths scheme).

We would have to duplicate the search through the KDE paths and keep it
in sync with the kdelibs code. I think that's not funny.

My solution has been to link with kdecore to use a KConfig object. I first
check for KGlobal::m_instance, and in case there's no KInstance (it's being
called from a non-KDE application), I just create a dummy temporal instance
that is deleted as soon as I finish to use the KConfig object.

I will still distribute libkmid outside the kdelibs, only then, it will not
link against kdecore, and so, it won't use the KControl module configuration.

This is the price the user has to pay if he's not using KDE :-)

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
Student of Mathematics