List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Qt based note editor
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-03-02 22:07:54

Joerg Anders wrote:

> Hi!

Hello,

welcome to this list :)

> This is my first mail in this mailing list. I send
> a mail already postet to kde-devel@kde.org:

Btw, I think you unsubscribed from kde-devel, imho, you should
also be there in order to follow a bit the general development on
the libraries, and such things.

> Planned
> =======
>
> *More edit features: copy, past, block delete, undo, ...
> *More music elements: beams, tuplets, repeat, ...
> *export MusicTex
> *export Midi
> *import Midi

You can already read Midi files using the classes in libkmid, if
you could add a way to save midi files, it would be very nice.
Anyway, imho, it would be better if you could integrate noteedit
with Brahms. But that's your choice of course.

> I already got a hint from Antonio Larrosa <antlarr@arrakis.es> to avoid
> this machine depency by using the kdelibs module.

Btw, I think I didn't announced it to this list, but libkmid
now works also with ALSA, and it can guess at runtime what driver to use
(of course, as long as it's been compiled with ALSA support).
Anyone using ALSA can test it ?

Now I have a question. ALSA's sequencer is much better than the OSS
counterpart. It allows one to enter events in a queue and then removing
events that haven't been played yet or "insert" events at random times
(OSS didn't allow these) . The question is: Should libkmid offer an
special API for ALSA ? (I mean, addition of functions that do this kind
of things with ALSA and do nothing with OSS).

I think it should, but I'm not too sure, as someone may write some code
that depends on these functions and then it wouldn't work with OSS.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
Student of Mathematics