List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Proposal: libunixmm.so (about the Comparison: MAS, GStreamer,
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2004-09-10 19:51:39

On Thursday 09 September 2004 23:43, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2004 23:16, Christian Esken wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 September 2004 21:54, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> Well, uhm, this is the KDE project.  ;-)  Voting simply isn't effective
> without the assumption that everyone's vote counts and counts the same.  OSS
> never works that way.  It's always based on a concensus of those doing the
> work.  A vote wouldn't have any authority; I can't imagine anyone saying,

I fully agree here.
I just had the impression that nobody is doing the work right now.

> > out some backends. Like doing a hacked up version of KAudioPlayer that uses
> > MAS or GStreamer as backend.  I'll probably do that myself ... even if half
> > of the kde-multimedia people will after that throw stones at me :)
>
> But we've already done that basically.  That's the whole point.  The interface

Well, this was not clear for me. On Akademy you talked about KDE bindings for a (now \
outdated) gstreamer version.

> is already there, implementations for aRts and aKode are already there and
> I've started on one for GStreamer; there's an empty dir for NMM.

I did not know about any current efforts. Where would I find this stuff and activate \
it?!? I am pretty clueless at this point of time.

> It really doesn't make sense to get into worrying about the sound server or
> how we're going to handle /dev/dsp at the moment.  That's a detail that in
> every case is abstracted away by the backends -- whether we chose one
> specifically or three it's always still not something we deal with directly.

OK, this is a possible way. You can count me aboard.

Greetings,
   Chris