List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    The Polypaudio sound server
From:       Lennart Poettering <mzxqr () 0pointer ! de>
Date:       2004-09-08 13:55:30

Hi!

Stefan Westerfeld informed me that KDE is currently evaluating
replacements for aRts for the next KDE releases. I am currently
working on Polypaudio, a modern sound server which was primarily
intended to be a replacement for Gnome's ESOUND. Stefan convinced me
that you, the KDE people, might be interested in it as well, for
replacing aRts. In contrast to aRts, Polypaudio is a sound server and
nothing more. It mixes sound streams with bells and whistles but
doesn't do any filtering, applying sound effects or MIDI stuff the way
Arts did. I believe that what it does, it does very well.

Polypaudio features a protocol-level compatibility module for
esound. There's no such compatibility with arts, simple due to the
fact that arts is a synthesizer program and includes a feature set
that cannot be emulated by polypaudio. For getting aRts compatibility
two solutions are possible:

    - Embedding polypaudio into the aRts. You can build the polypaudio
      core as a library and link into other applications

    - Writing a arts backend driver for polypaudio

A common sound server for both KDE and Gnome would be a great asset. I
am not a KDE guy myself, but nonetheless I respect the KDE. I am
currently working on getting polypaudio integrated in the next version
of gnome (2.10 or 3.0).

Polypaudio is not a multimedia streaming system like gstreamer
is. It is possible to use gestreamer on top of polypaudio (I
am currently working on an polypaudio sink for Gstreamer).

For more information see

    http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/polypaudio/

Please comment on polypaudio and tell me what features are needed to
meet KDE's requirements and if you are interested at all. The client
API documentation is available from:

   http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/polypaudio/doxygen/

Thank you for your time,

      Lennart Poettering

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }