Hi! Stefan Westerfeld informed me that KDE is currently evaluating replacements for aRts for the next KDE releases. I am currently working on Polypaudio, a modern sound server which was primarily intended to be a replacement for Gnome's ESOUND. Stefan convinced me that you, the KDE people, might be interested in it as well, for replacing aRts. In contrast to aRts, Polypaudio is a sound server and nothing more. It mixes sound streams with bells and whistles but doesn't do any filtering, applying sound effects or MIDI stuff the way Arts did. I believe that what it does, it does very well. Polypaudio features a protocol-level compatibility module for esound. There's no such compatibility with arts, simple due to the fact that arts is a synthesizer program and includes a feature set that cannot be emulated by polypaudio. For getting aRts compatibility two solutions are possible: - Embedding polypaudio into the aRts. You can build the polypaudio core as a library and link into other applications - Writing a arts backend driver for polypaudio A common sound server for both KDE and Gnome would be a great asset. I am not a KDE guy myself, but nonetheless I respect the KDE. I am currently working on getting polypaudio integrated in the next version of gnome (2.10 or 3.0). Polypaudio is not a multimedia streaming system like gstreamer is. It is possible to use gestreamer on top of polypaudio (I am currently working on an polypaudio sink for Gstreamer). For more information see http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/polypaudio/ Please comment on polypaudio and tell me what features are needed to meet KDE's requirements and if you are interested at all. The client API documentation is available from: http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/polypaudio/doxygen/ Thank you for your time, Lennart Poettering -- name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany } mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 } www { http://0pointer.de/lennart/ } icq# { 11060553 } _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia