List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    RE: Use of the VideoPlayObject for thumbnails
From:       Simon MacMullen <simon.macmullen () aspectgroup ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-13 12:56:17

Ewald Snel:
> I have committed some code to CVS

I have now added a thumbnail creator to CVS. It's in
kdemultimedia/xine_artsplugin/tools/thumbnail (because I'm working on the
assumption that the plugin will not get compiled if xine is not there). It's
not compiled by default yet.

One problem it has is that it makes sound while it is working. I have added
this function to it:

void VideoCreator::mutePlayObject (Arts::PlayObject object)
{
    Arts::Synth_BUS_UPLINK uplink = Arts::DynamicCast(object._getChild(
"uplink" ));

    Arts::disconnect( object, "left", uplink, "left" );
    Arts::disconnect( object, "right", uplink, "right" );
}

...but I can't do that until I have created a PlayObject, so it makes
popping sounds. Can anyone who actually knows arts give me a better idea
what to do?

> The x11Snapshot() function will return the next image that becomes
> available for display. This should be the first image after
> seeking has completed (it should stall for a few ms).

I'm not sure if this is true. The creator at the moment contains code like
this:

KPlayObjectFactory factory(m_server.server());
m_playobj = factory.createPlayObject(path, true);
mutePlayObject(m_playobj->object());

// Waaaaaa!
pause(1000);

Arts::poTime t;

t.ms = 100;
t.seconds = 0;

// Waaaaa!
//m_playobj->seek(t);
img = KVideoWidget::snapshot( Arts::DynamicCast( m_playobj->object() ) );

where pause(int) is a method that executes kapp->processOneEvent(); for the
given number of milliseconds. If the pause method is commented out, or the
seek method is uncommented, the call to KVideoWidget::snapshot returns a
null image. Am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers, Simon