List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: aRts roadmap
From:       Scott Wheeler <scott () slackorama ! net>
Date:       2002-02-21 17:19:10

On Thursday 21 February 2002 11:50 am, Richard Bown wrote:
> aRts is a great project but at the moment I feel the apps guys are kind of
> held on the fringes (unless they have access to their own aRts developer).
>  I got pissed off yesterday and sent out an snippy post because I was just
> frustrated with the lack of information out there.

Yeah, I think aRts is great and amazing too, but I really don't understand at
all how to use it.  I've managed to understand a few simple things but most
of what I have done is to copy other code and *hope* that it works.

One thing that would be nice, and should be really easy, would be to compile a
list of all of the software currently using aRts and places to look for code.
This is one of the really great things about doing KDE development normally;
if you don't understand something in the docs or it's not well documented,
you have 100 examples right there to go and see how it's done.  I've been
able to find 2 for aRts (Noatun and KNotify) and they were both written by
aRts developers.

I'm willing to start compiling a list like this.  Can those of you using aRts
send me projects that you're working on or know of and which classes/files
use aRts?  This wouldn't be *real* documentation, but it would help me and
probably others.

I have a simple class from QTagger (that I'm trying to extend now) that plays
mp3s (and probably other media types, though I haven't tried yet).

Thanks!

-Scott