List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: KMid can't open /dev/sequencer
From:       Christopher S Horler <chris () horler ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-12-19 19:18:52

On Monday 17 Dec 2001 2:52 pm, Joao.Moreira@reuters.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am new to KDE, I have a brand new RedHat 7.2 installed on a laptop
> (IBM ThinkPad T21). I have a problem with the "Midi/Karaoke Player"
> (KMid)  :
>
> When I open a .mid file in Kmid, I get a message saying
>
>      "Couldn't open /dev/sequencer.
>      Probably there is another program using it."
>
> What I find puzzling is that a different midi application works fine : if I
> open the same file in the "Midi synth" application (KMidi), it plays just
> fine. I do have the device :
>
> [root@joaotp root]# ls -l /dev/sequencer
but is it supported in your sound card driver? If not it ain't much use to
you.  try building some ALSA modules for your soundcard (if supported), and
make sure to include synth support.  Then give it another bash.  you can
build rpm's for 7.2 in the current alsa release, which might be useful for a
beginner (it will save you a few commands and install a init script to bring
up the modules) You'll need to edit your /etc/modules.conf by hand, but if
you read instructions, examples you should be okay.

Later,
Chris