List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: MPEG embedding + aRts API RFC
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-09-24 14:52:04

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 10:12:07AM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Friday 21 September 2001 17:24, Martin Vogt wrote:
> > I'm currently working on a replacement of the rendering system,
> > which should do that.
>
> Aah... Then I for one am looking forward to that ;-)
>
> <impatient-mode> What's the current status? </impatient-mode>

I think 60% are done.

I hope that it will be ready in the cvs-feature freeze time.
Even when its ready the mpeglib APIs must be converted to the new ones.

The library should allow easier integration of other codecs
into KDE/arts. (xine port,...)

> > > I tried a few approaches but all seemed to fail.
> > > * Since mpeglib is not Qt code the signal/slot mechanism is not available
> > > to mpeglib for making a simple callback call.
> >
> > It's easier to create an ARTS PlayObject, and control the decoder
> > with calls through arts.
> >
> > What excatly do you want to do?
>
> Embed videos inside a bigger window ;-)

Besides the ugly jumping windows this is possible
with VideoEmbed.

> Where do they actually communicate with mpeglib?
> And where does arts pass on the Window IDs and such? It seemed to me that
> aRts didn't have a real provision for proper video embedding in its API and I
> couldn't confirm that by looking at the code either.

mpgPlayObject_impl.h is a sub class of decoderBaseObject.
You will find everthing in mpeglib_artsplug.

regards,

Martin