List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: [noatun] New Noatun plugin - lyrics
From:       Ismael Orenstein <perdig () linuxbr ! com ! br>
Date:       2001-09-15 22:20:27

Hey there!

On Friday 14 September 2001 19:10, Antonio Larrosa Jiménez wrote:
> El Lun 10 Sep 2001 21:13, Neil Stevens escribió:
> > On Sunday September 09, 2001 08:51, Ismael Orenstein wrote:
> > > This should open a new window, containing a KHTMLPart that will go to
> > > http://www.songmeanings.net and search for your song.
> >
> > Something to think about - aren't there some tag formats that include
> > lyrics optionally?
>
> I was thinking on giving it a try, and even started reading about it
> (http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames.txt points 4.8 and 4.9).
> But if Ismael wants to make this work too, then I'll do other things.
> Ismael, note that you may reuse my lyrics widget from KMid to support
> [un]synchronized lyrics/text tags in mp3 files (it seems to me you
> currently use a KHTML part, isn't it ?)
> On the other hand, anybody knows if those tags are really being used ?
>
> If not, perhaps someone (Ismael?) can make an editor that takes the lyrics
> from the web, separate the words in syllables (there must be algorithms
> for that) and allows to assign a "time" to each syllable just by pressing
> the space key (for example) when the singer sings that syllable.

I was talking with Charles about it, and he pointed me to
http://www.mpx.cz/mp3manager/tags.htm

It doesn't seem very hard to load the lyrics tag for a music, but I don't
think that the Lyrics plugin should do it. IMHO, a tag loader plugin shold
try to check for these tags, load them and then, if they exist, the Lyrics
plugin can try to look for them (checking a "lyrics" property maybe). This
way it shall work with any media type, as long as it's tag loader takes care
of it.

About using your KMid lyrics widget, it may be a idea for the future. It
isn't a good idea to use right now cause the current functionality of my
Lyrics plugin is to search for lyrics on the net (currently at the
SongMeanings.net site, in the future hopefully at other places). So, it makes
sense to use a KHTML Part as all the lyrics I'm going to find are going to be
in HTML format.

In the future, I want to make it possible for the user to save any lyrics to
the harddisk, using a variety of formats (save only the Lyrics URL, save the
entire HTML file or save a txt with a selected text - the lyrics, hopefully).
This way, I can later add support for some synchronized lyrics format, and
then use your lyrics editor idea (and use KMid's Lyrics widget when loading
these type of lyrics)

Anyway, that's the goal I currently have for this plugin (more like a
"Lyrics-searcher" then a "Karaoke machine"), but I open for any contribution!
:)

Best regards,

--
Ismael Orenstein (UIN 1293061)