List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: [noatun] New Noatun plugin - lyrics
From:       Ismael Orenstein <perdig () linuxbr ! com ! br>
Date:       2001-09-12 23:01:07

On Monday 10 September 2001 23:54, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
> > BTW, I was thinking about importing this plugin to the KDE CVS... can I
> > do it? Where should it go?
>
> Well, it'd probably go in kdeaddons/noatun-plugins, but you'd need to get
> an account, so that you can maintain it.  Given all that you've submitted
> lately, I hope that won't be a problem for you.

Ok... but how can I get an account? (I must talk with who? :) )

> > Yeah, I didn't know that it was the default... this solves the
> > problem... :) Although I personally think that having a nice [Artist] -
> > Song name for the songs is a good thing... But IMO this should be
> > provided by Noatun, not a plugin (ie, one of Noatun's configuration
> > options should be this name string and the User interfaces/Playlist
> > could call item->formattedTitle() to get a nice, standard, title,
> > without messing up with the internal properties of the song)
>
> The tag loaders predate Tron, that's why they had the default they had=
> When SPL was the only option, the only way tag information could be
> displayed was in the song title.  Now, though, we have two playlists (Tron
> and Liszt) that display tag information in a more organized way.  So, I
> changed the default to Title, from [Artist] - Title.
>
> One could always make a UI that understands tag info, in the same way Tron
> does.  In fact, feel free to submit a patch that puts tag info into the
> Excellent status bar. :-)

This can be done... no problem... :)

But I just want to know what you think is the better way to do it... I think
we have the following options:

1) Leave the Tag Loaders with just the tag informations... that is, just the
Title, Artist, Album, etc. Then, each plugin must decide how to display it
(the Tron playlist can display each information on a column), the Excellent
UI can display it in the status bar in a [Artist] - Title fashion, and the
Young Hickory can use a similar way.
This makes a lot of sense and is very simple to implement, but leads to two
problems:
 a) The configuration options for the Tag Loader doesn't make much sense, as
it *must* have only the title in the "title" tag, or it will confuse the hell
out of the UI plugins (it does makes sense if Charles apply my "Rename" patch
though... :P )
 b) This can lead to a lot of duplicated effort, as a lot of plugins will
have similar ways of displaying the data. And maybe a lot of plugins will
have a configuration tab very similar to the current Tag Loader one (with the
[%a] - %t stuff)

2) Allow the Tag Loaders to not only set the tag information (storing them in
the artist/title/album properties) but also some extra information on how to
display it (maybe a "name" or "display" property). So the plugins can try to
access this property to have a standardized display way. (so, if I set [%a] -
%t in my Tag Loader, I can expect the UI, the Systray and the playlist to
display it in the same way)
Or we can have another plugin that would do just that, taking this burden out
of the Tag Loader (a bit overkill, if you ask me...). But the advantage of it
is that it will avoid duplicated code in the Tag Loaders themselves.

3) Have the Noatun base libraries take care of that, with a new PlaylistItem
method to get a standardized display way (configurable in Noatun's main
settings dialog)

Anyway, that's just my .02

Which of the following ways you prefer?

Best regards,