List:       kde-maemo
Subject:    [Kde-maemo] libkok patches
From:       vkrause () kde ! org (Volker Krause)
Date:       2010-01-26 17:23:35

On Monday 25 January 2010 23:53:03 Alexis M?nard wrote:
> We (plasma folks) will require a separate package for libplasma...I
> think plasma depends only on kdeui, kio, kdecore the rest for us is
> useless but it is probably important for others.
>
> I think the whole kdelibs should be divided on packages by modules or
> is it overkill/bad idea?

No, I think that's actually a very good idea and Qt apparently does the same.
Removing features one of us doen't need will just let us end up with three
different libkok-like libs that noone else can reuse.

So, I think splitting up the packages and adapting the dependencies
accordingly is a much better first step, I guess we eg. could easily avoid
KHTML that way (IIRC all of KOffice/PIM/Plasma use WebKit nowadays, if at
all?). In a next step then we could profile the single libraries (only those
we actually need) and only as a very last option resort to removing features
we deem too expensive.

Obviously, this is much more work than just customizing kdelibs for one
specific application, but IMHO it's the only way if we want to make KDE an
attractive development platform for Maemo.

regards
Volker