List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: Install presence
From:       Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting () kde ! org>
Date:       2021-06-21 2:53:55

Just to throw in my 2 cents too. I recently used KMyMoney on mac while I
was waiting for a new laptop to arrive in the mail. The dmg from the build
factory worked well during the week I was using it on macos, but it
definitely didn't look as native as many other Qt applications do on MacOS.
Likely for the same reasons listed earlier. It's also not very dependent on
other libraries/systems to work. I don't think it uses kparts or kio or
anything like that. And yes, running anything on Big Sur that isn't signed,
notarized by apple, etc. is non trivial for regular users. Apple is making
it harder and harder to put whatever you want on these machines.

In years past (many years past when the QSP discussions were going on,
early kf5 days) I used to build kde stuff myself on mac with kdesrc-build,
and had tweaked userbase/techbase articles with hints to get it working,
but haven't tried that in quite a while. I did try with craft a bit a
couple years ago, but the builds on the build factory are just as good, so
I haven't bothered lately. The way I see it macos is a few things:

A) It's a platform, like linux, but like linux there are a few distribution
channels that can be used. Namely
  1) Self contained applications
  2) homebrew
  3) macports
  4) craft built (same as 1, but built locally)
  5) Probably many others that I'm not even aware of.
B) Qt5 from any of the above is a mess, or at least has been in the past. I
agree with Rene, if we want our applications to work well on macOS (in
any/all of the above distributions) we need to fix that first. Maybe if the
homebrew qt5 packages can be fixed the macports people will see it can be
done and become more approachable. I haven't dealt with MacPorts devs in
quite some time myself. Barring that maybe the issues could be fixed
upstream in Qt6 itself. I remember the efforts that went in to trying in
Qt5, but times change, maybe it would be more approachable now. I'm not
sure.

All of the above is based on the idea that yes, we want KDE applications to
work well on MacOS. I'm not sure if that's the consensus or not. I find it
awesome that I can run Kanagram on windows (natively, or with wsl2) linux
(in the many variants) and MacOS. But I do find it overwhelming to start to
figure out how each platform works and what needs to be done to make things
work better on each platform. I tried putting the qml and sound files in
resources at one point, thinking that would make it work better on MacOS,
Android, Flatpak, etc. But then found that the upstream qml it depended on
would also likely need to be embedded in the resources to ensure it's
available and had no idea how to go about finding and embedding those, etc.
If someone knows a good set of "Best practices" for making stuff work well
on many platforms that would be awesome. Especially if it's in a tutorial
form or has examples.

And, this went much longer than I had planned it to be. I'll stop there and
start another thread later as needed for these side topics.

BR,
Jeremy