List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: Install presence
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-06-21 7:18:23

Hi Jeremy,

It's nice to see you again. Welcome back.

> On 21 Jun 2021, at 12:53 pm, Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting@kde.org> wrote:
>
> Just to throw in my 2 cents too. I recently used KMyMoney on mac while I was \
> waiting for a new laptop to arrive in the mail. The dmg from the build factory \
> worked well during the week I was using it on macos, but it definitely didn't look \
> as native as many other Qt applications do on MacOS. Likely for the same reasons \
> listed earlier.

BTW, what is the "build factory" and how do I access it? As you infer, building KDE \
apps on Apple OSX is only part of the battle. Getting some KDE apps to run and look \
the same as on a Plasma desktop is not so easy. In their raw state on KDE 4, apps \
would not load any kind of plugin, some messages and text would appear in black on a \
black background and Dr Konqi never worked (until I fixed it), so bug reports to KDE \
from Apple Mac never came with the required backtrace, meaning that reports from Mac \
users were ignored by KDE developers. René and I fixed a lot of those things and \
René has continued that work on into KF5.

> It's also not very dependent on other libraries/systems to work. I don't think it \
> uses kparts or kio or anything like that.

Here's the rub. Although I worked as a KDE developer for 14 years and tried many \
times to find out what "kparts" and "kio" are and what they actually do, but was \
never able to find out (i.e.no definitive documentation).

> And yes, running anything on Big Sur that isn't signed, notarized by apple, etc. is \
> non trivial for regular users. Apple is making it harder and harder to put whatever \
> you want on these machines.
> In years past (many years past when the QSP discussions were going on, early kf5 \
> days) I used to build kde stuff myself on mac with kdesrc-build, and had tweaked \
> userbase/techbase articles with hints to get it working, but haven't tried that in \
> quite a while. I did try with craft a bit a couple years ago, but the builds on the \
> build factory are just as good, so I haven't bothered lately.

Yes, I remember (back in February 2015) you tried to help me build Qt5 and KF5. I was \
very grateful for your help, but my efforts ended in nothing after three solid weeks \
of trying. You were one of the few KDE developers who helped any of us with Apple \
Mac.

> The way I see it macos is a few things:
>
> A) It's a platform, like linux, but like linux there are a few distribution \
> channels that can be used. Namely 1) Self contained applications
> 2) homebrew
> 3) macports
> 4) craft built (same as 1, but built locally)
> 5) Probably many others that I'm not even aware of.

Correct. Cross your fingers and pick one.

> B) Qt5 from any of the above is a mess, or at least has been in the past. I agree \
> with Rene, if we want our applications to work well on macOS (in any/all of the \
> above distributions) we need to fix that first. Maybe if the homebrew qt5 packages \
> can be fixed the macports people will see it can be done and become more \
> approachable. I haven't dealt with MacPorts devs in quite some time myself. Barring \
> that maybe the issues could be fixed upstream in Qt6 itself. I remember the efforts \
> that went in to trying in Qt5, but times change, maybe it would be more \
> approachable now. I'm not sure.
> All of the above is based on the idea that yes, we want KDE applications to work \
> well on MacOS.

Yes, we do. But it won't happen until there is much more co-operation between KDE \
developers and Apple Mac experts. We need a small, multi-disciplinary team to hammer \
away at the problems for a few months.

Cheers,
Ian W.