List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: Building RKWard on Mac (continued from private discussion)
From:       Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2017-06-09 10:57:38

On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 09:49:44 +0200
René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >And you're already adding the wrapper for all KF5-ports.
>
> True, but only for starting them from the commandline.

Yeah, that's another thing I might quizz you about, later. I'll
certainly want RKWard to load its icons regardless of how it was
started...

> >Then, why not just make all ports of kf5 applications depend on it,
> >and get sane behavior out of the box, without pushing the
> >responsiblity to read up on all this to the user?
>
> I find it's still a bit early for that without having more feedback
> from the field. The problem is also that both the Applications and
> Plasma categories contain applications and libraries. Setting a
> platform theme plugin as a dependency for a library feels a bit
> unelegant, and I don't really want to have to remember declaring it
> manually either :)

I can see there are corner cases. But it's fairly important: I don't
think there is any KF5-application that is better off without any
icons. And in fact, both as an application maintainer and as a user,
that's definitely something I would expect packaging to take care of.

If that means adding an unnecessary dependency to a few
libraries/subports, I would consider that the lesser evil. (Also keep
in mind, that at least for the time being, the primary dependents of
frameworks libraries are KDE applications, anyway).

> >Sure, I suppose a select few KF5-applications may want to play
> >different on Mac, but then _those_ would be special cased, while
> >all
>
> What do you have in mind?

I'm absolutely not up to speed on MacPorts but could you make it such
that any port that has kf5.add_app_wrapper in it will also get a
dependency on kf5-osx-integration. Then only in those -
hypothetical?(*) - cases, where this is not desired, you'd add

  depends_lib-delete port:kf5-osx-integration

or something.

Regards
Thomas

(*) Are you aware of any applications among your kf5 ports which would
_not_ want kf5-osx-integration?