List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: Building RKWard on Mac (continued from private discussion)
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-06-09 7:49:44

On Friday June 09 2017 07:40:11 Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 22:53:45 +0200

> René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also: in its default configuration the plugin is loaded only when
> > KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 in the environment, or when it is requested
> > explicitly via the aforementioned QT_QPA...=kde trick. As long as
> > those aren't set, the plugin won't be loaded. This is one reason why
> > my KF5 ports all install wrapper scripts in /opt/local/bin, but you
> > can also replace the bundle exec with a script that sets the
> > appropriate env. variables before calling the actual executable.
>
> Ah, that's the part I had been missing. So, without that wrapper (or
> manual user config), kf5-osx-integration simply does nothing, right?

Yes and no. First, you can set the env. variable(s) globally, even such that they \
apply to applications launched via the Finder. Then you don't need wrappers anymore. \
But yes, without them the platform theme plugin from kf5-osx-integration will not be \
loaded unless you build it to override the standard Cocoa plugin.

Also, with the latest changes I pushed to the repo it shouldn't have any noticeable \
effect on "pure Qt" ports as long as you don't have a kdeglobals file that redefines \
things.

> And you're already adding the wrapper for all KF5-ports.

True, but only for starting them from the commandline.

> Then, why not just make all ports of kf5 applications depend on it, and
> get sane behavior out of the box, without pushing the responsiblity to
> read up on all this to the user?

I find it's still a bit early for that without having more feedback from the field.
The problem is also that both the Applications and Plasma categories contain \
applications and libraries. Setting a platform theme plugin as a dependency for a \
library feels a bit unelegant, and I don't really want to have to remember declaring \
it manually either :)

> Sure, I suppose a select few KF5-applications may want to play
> different on Mac, but then _those_ would be special cased, while all

What do you have in mind?