List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac
Date:       2010-08-18 19:14:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Op 18 aug 2010, om 20:46 heeft Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas het volgende geschreven:

> For my cross platform VMPK (Virtual MIDI piano keyboard), I distribute an
> universal .app bundle (intel+ppc,32bits) for Mac, including all required Qt4
> dependencies as private frameworks. It is a ~15Mb .zip package.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmpk/files/
>
> KMid (www.kde.org/applications/multimedia/kmid/) is now a cross platform KDE
> application. I've done my best to support Windows and Mac OSX. The users of
> these operating systems may enjoy their native MIDI infrastructures and soft
> synths. No other external dependencies are needed, only kdelibs.

Op 18 aug 2010, om 17:30 heeft Mike McQuaid het volgende geschreven:

> As an example of my method, here's how to make a Qt application that finds and \
> installs all it's own dependencies in CMake: \
> http://gitorious.org/charm/charm/blobs/master/Charm/CMakeLists.txt#line228
> This lets "make package" build a droppable .app installer of this Qt application on \
> OSX. I could change one line and make it create .pkg installers instead. The .dmg \
> is 6.4MB and the installed .app is 20MB. This somewhat destroys your claim that \
> "bundling a Qt framework inside the .app makes the .app grow by a few hundred MB".

The situation with Qt is *completely* different from the situation with KDE. Qt is \
merely a library. A bunch of frameworks and you're done. KDE consists of much more \
than that, one of which is the daemons. I indeed checked the size of the Qt library \
including all headers and with full debugging, no stripping. Still, you have to agree \
that having the complete KDE application environment (usually not just kdelibs), \
installed as many times as you have applications, instead of just once, isn't good \
for the disk space, right?

Op 18 aug 2010, om 17:47 heeft Benjamin Reed het volgende geschreven:

> I'd rather work on making CPack Do The Right Thing for all of KDE out
> of the box, which benefits other platforms as well.

Op 18 aug 2010, om 20:56 heeft Mike McQuaid het volgende geschreven:

> Yep, I agree that it's a shame. My work with CPack and KDELibs should be able to \
> help you here.

If you work on improving building of self-sufficient KDE applications, that's \
wonderful work. It is probably possible, and maybe easier than I expect it to be. In \
the meantime, I will be brainstorming this KDE installer. Maybe only to fill a gap \
until you guys have figured out how to do it the most beautiful way, while \
circumventing the problem of the daemons and everything.

Yes, a self-sufficient .app is beautiful. But in this case: why bother, it's not like \
the user will notice. Yes, interfacing with Fink may be hard. I find it to be a \
better investment of my time.

Op 18 aug 2010, om 17:47 heeft Benjamin Reed het volgende geschreven:

> I'm obviously a supporter of Fink, being one of the core maintainers
> and all, but I think trying to package fink with a frontend would be a
> nightmare.  First, what do you do with people with existing Fink
> installs?  Upgrade their dependent binaries with new debs,
> potentially?  Make the KDE packages in somewhere other than /sw?

These are all just trivial problems. The installer will use the existing Fink \
installation if it exists. It will use /sw like normal Fink packages. It will use a \
binary distribution with packages in Fink itself (I don't think 'my' packages will \
divert from Benjamin's packages, can't think of any patches that wouldn't make sense \
in Fink itself, or upstream). It will not divert from normal Fink procedures such as \
the -shlibs packages, so there will be no binary compatibility problems.

I'll think this through before I'll really start working on it. This brainstorm has \
been hugely helpful, but we're just repeating arguments here. I would love it if you \
continue work on CPack and kdelibs improvements to one day get "real" Mac KDE \
applications; in the meantime, I will try to work on an installer that works with \
Fink in symbiosis. We'll tackle the same problem from two sides and maybe we'll meet \
again in the middle.

Thank you for the discussion. :)
Sjors

["smime.p7s" (smime.p7s)]

0	*H
 010	+0	*H
 l0h0P 0
	*H
0y10U
Root CA10Uhttp://www.cacert.org1"0 UCA Cert Signing \
Authority1!0	*H 	support@cacert.org0
100705230101Z
120704230101Z010USjors Gielen1$0"	*H
	sjorsgielen@gmail.com1"0 	*H
	dazjorz@dazjorz.com1&0$	*H
	dazjorz@kmess.org1,0*	*H
	dazjorz@users.sourceforge.net10	*H
	sjors@kmess.org0"0
	*H
0
ףڨ :1irATu=_nao" \
'@8]o-:i@vw(	E{TZgK1"n \
a%#M܇\MȲ!ÆgcEp=2Rn2(`3u벽I]vKKr\2<뼃 \
cM|tPQ!^Ԗx4~ \
r߇WmC􅚲"@;2g@9u@5!DFYuЫh׃}v0r0U00V	`HB
 IGTo get your own certificate for FREE head over to \
http://www.CAcert.org0@U%907++ +7

+7
	`HB02+&0$0"+0http://ocsp.cacert.org0U0sjors \
 	*H
REXp}
;/,u^W92J4eIGLY(k4%Y< %$
%q9,ܛQeAfyruOExl2t_pп;Rmܻ(pEҍʛ#P'$Ѝd$?}P.^_"HDόüNי	x	ĺQ6ؓ \
W wZ; ZUpz\$"{aƃ}Ri \
Qs8	;x-t=;`lĒEp$$vhgGKEk \
(r<3KI/cT:NNQGur 7K)tOVE5B|(kA; \
"tS(V+M3%62D6`;8~CN	WȊOCvږ^'xC:F/"RP?$n#!ټw!! \
2aOǓ^7@צ.wn130/00y10U Root \
CA10Uhttp://www.cacert.org1"0 UCA Cert Signing Authority1!0	*H \
	support@cacert.org0	+ 0	*H 	1	*H
0	*H