List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac
From:       Mike McQuaid <mike () mikemcquaid ! com>
Date:       2010-08-18 18:56:26

On 18 Aug 2010, at 19:46, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

> For my cross platform VMPK (Virtual MIDI piano keyboard), I distribute an
> universal .app bundle (intel+ppc,32bits) for Mac, including all required Qt4
> dependencies as private frameworks. It is a ~15Mb .zip package.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmpk/files/
>
> It is built with qmake, and the dependencies gathered into the bundle by
> macdeployqt, without the help of CPack.
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/deployment-mac.html#the-mac-deployment-tool
>
> I know that there are some happy Mac users of this program. Windows downloads
> outnumber Linux and Macs by thousands. The program is also available in some
> major Linux distros. Everybody seems to be glad with it.

Nice work! Macdeployqt is great and works well, it's just doesn't help with KDE \
applications, which is one of the reasons I've used CPack for Charm, as a test-bed \
for the KDE stuff.

> KMid (www.kde.org/applications/multimedia/kmid/) is now a cross platform KDE
> application. I've done my best to support Windows and Mac OSX. The users of
> these operating systems may enjoy their native MIDI infrastructures and soft
> synths. No other external dependencies are needed, only kdelibs.
>
> Well. I've received complains from a few Mac users, because they can't
> download a binary package, and it is not available neither from Fink nor
> Macports. The situation is not much better for Windows.
>
> From my developer point of view, I am disappointed. My motivation to work in
> cross platform support for KDE is very low. So, I would gladly welcome any
> proposal to clean up all this mess.

Yep, I agree that it's a shame. My work with CPack and KDELibs should be able to help \
you here.

Out of interest, do you require D-Bus for KDELibs?

I hope to be able to fix your exact case study: get the core libraries packaging \
support so it's easy for other developers to release .app bundles of their own \
applications.

--
Cheers,
Mike McQuaid