List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Packaging (was Re: [rkward-users] problem installing
From:       Mike Arthur <mike () mikearthur ! co ! uk>
Date:       2010-05-10 17:47:32

On 10 May 2010, at 18:36, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

> On Monday, May 10, 2010, Mike Arthur wrote:
> > Personally I'm all for developers being told that Qt applications are FAR
> > more portable than KDE applications. I'd go as far as to say that there are
> > no KDE applications that are ported and packaged sufficiently for novice
> > end-users on Windows or Mac. There are plenty of Qt applications that meet
> > this requirement.
>
> And what do you propose to solve this problem? I don't expect that we, Linux
> developers with not much experience as Mac users (not to mention as
> packagers) could do a great job packaging applications ourselves.

There are two solutions to this problem:
1) Make your applications so they optionally depend on KDELibs rather than always
2) Help with making KDELibs more modular

I get you about the packaging thing but this is open-source, if your users are \
demanding Mac packages then you should get them to help out.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur