List:       kde-look
Subject:    Addition to KHelpcenter
From:       Jim Conner <jconner83 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-07-30 12:14:41

Last week I made a suggestion about adding a 'How Do I?' feature to
KHelpcenter(thread: Re: First Time Config Wizard (Re: K start menu icon
ideas)).  This would be an icon on the desktop that would be labeled 'How Do
I?'.  The programs function would be to bring up a window that looked like
the KHelpcenter and in the left panel would have task like:

How do I find a file?
How do I open a file to edit?
How do I change my background?
How do I change my screensaver?
How do I add/remove/move icons in the bottom panel(Kicker)?

In the right panel would be the information that the user wanted when they
clicked on a question in the left panel.  Most of this information has
already been written for other portions of the KHelpcenter.  I think this
would be a great benefit for new users of KDE.  For seasoned users, they can
just delete the icon of the desktop and no longer worry about it.  Since my
programming skills are quite outdated, I was wondering how to get a project
like this started.  I don't care if I'm involved with the project directly or
indirectly.  Since KDE2.2 is frozen and soon to be released, and it don't
look like there will be a KDE2.2.1, then quite possibly this project could be
released with KDE3.0.  Any suggestions, hints, pros or cons of a project of
this nature would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
--

  6:42am  up 6 days,  7:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.01