List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Steve Hunt <theshunt () crosswinds ! net>
Date:       2001-07-30 11:29:50

On Saturday 28 July 2001 02:03 am, Chris Altmann wrote:
> Jim Conner <jconner83@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The MS Paperclip was retired, thank god.  I'm not sure what the icon
> > would
>
> be
>
> > on the desktop, maybe a large yellow question mark.  The format/look&feel
>
> of
>
> > the program would be the same as the KDE Help program that is already in
> > existence.  This would be task-oriented on the left, rather than just a
> > repository of all help docs that are on the machine and on the right
> > would have the simple explanations of how to accomplish the task with
>
> pictures(if
>
> > necessary).  What to include here and what not to include here would be
> > up for debate.  IMHO, I think it should include things that are very
> > basic in using and personalizing KDE.  In other words, things that are
> > covered in
>
> the
>
> > 'Windows 9x Tour' animation.  This will not be in animation format, but
> > in

> > question/answer format.  I'm just looking for a solution that will enable
> > new-users to not be intimidated by seeing KDE for the first time.
>
> They lied. I can get Clippy in two clicks in Windows XP. They only turned
> him off by default. He's still there, waiting for a chance to intrude.
>
> I mentioned what Windows XP is doing in this area in a nother post. Office
> XP has a variation on this scheme called Task Panes. They are dockable
> panes to the left or right of the document that in some cases act as
> wizards.
>
> I think your idea, with a always-on-top windows styled as an interactive
> reference card, but where the user actually performs the actions on the
> real UI, would be a good way to go.
>
> The problem with MS's method (mainly a problem with Clippy, much less so
> with task panes) is that if you don't use the aids, you don't see the same
> interface to do it on your own as you did when theye were there to help. If
> Clippy was on and you quite with unsaved changes, he would ask if you
> wanted to save in his own cartoon bubble. If he was disabled, the standard
> dialog would ask the same (possibly worded slightly different) question. I
> think its best to have the user use the real interface and keep the guide
> separate but close at hand. It makes it easier to handle as a separate KDE
> project as well.

IMHO, there were only two major problems with clippy.

1. It got in the way of the real interface.
2. It caused the user to perform an extra click or two just to start typing
again.  This was the biggest problem.  Many users who I worked with when I
was forced to teach them Microsoft Office looked at the keyboard the whole
time.  However, that Professor Paperclip asked them a question, and they may
have typed a paragraph before they realized that nothing was being entered on
the screen.

So, if KDE does decide to have something like Clippy, why not have it as a
Kicker plugin?  It wouldn't get in the way (at least it wouldnt get in the
way too much ;-)) and it could use non-intrusive dialogs.

If you have ever played with the infamous AMOR (amusing misuse of resources),
you would find that although it does use dialogs (or baloons if you prefer)
the dialogs are not intrusive, meaning that they don't prevent you from
typing.

A Kicker plugin might be a nice solution for new users who want something
like Clippy, and hate Clippy ;-)

BTW: also, if you have used Dreamweaver, there is an amusing applet called
Tacky, which is a chain-smoking thumbtack which always makes fun of you and
does lude dances with a paperclip.  Sorry, I just had to mention that.