List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-07-28 10:39:47

On Saturday, 28. July 2001 01:21, Andreas Pour wrote:

> saying "Application Menu\nClick here to start".  Something like in
> http://www.kde.com/devel/start.png (witness my poor drawing skills).  So
> this thing would go away as soon as you hit a key or the mouse button,
> and, of course, in KDE's grand tradition, would have to be configurable.

The "tool tip" (it's not a real tool tip text) could have a checkbox like
some dialogs have that says "Don't show this again", so the user can switch
it off quickly without searching the config option for it. And I would not
call it "Start Menu", but something like "KDE Main Menu", because a user
won't associate logout, lockig the screen, reading help files or configuring
KDE with starting an app. I know many people who have problems associating
the "start" button of Windows with the shutdown option contained in the menu.

--
While it's certainly possible for an app to figure out what other apps are
doing, it's bad for it to base its behavior on any of that information